Skip to main content

View Post [edit]

Poster: RPG Circus Podcast Date: Mar 14, 2013 9:22am
Forum: forums Subject: Issues with iTunes

I use the standard{identifier}/{filename} links in my podcast feeds. I understand that these are actually redirects to other URL. For over 4 years it has been working flawlessly until the last two uploads. Now iTunes (and iTunes only) seems to not be able to process those URLs.

It seems those URL get converted from http:// to an https://. Which all of them seem to do.

I've tried the hardcoded URLs - works - doesn't work. - works (by forcing it to be http:// rather than https://)

Is there some known issue with iTunes and the the SSL certs?

Reply [edit]

Poster: gus8149 Date: Mar 18, 2013 1:26pm
Forum: forums Subject: Re: Issues with iTunes


I was wondering if you came to find an answer to this problem or not? If you did maybe to let me know what the issue was? I have been using Archive for about a year now and I been having issues ever since they changed the uploader with the new year. I have to actually upload my file twice and rename it and edit it all over after the page has been made. It is really kind of a round about way to do things, but it works and it is free. But yeah I have seen the https as well in the mp3 file and I don't know if that is the reason Itunes will not find it or what? I thought I had it fixed on my last two podcasts and I did this weeks page exactly like the page last weeks was made up like and of course it doesn't work. I don't know if its Itunes or Archive. But if you did find a answer or a solution even on your own, I would really be appreciative to know what you did find out.

Thanks a lot.

Reply [edit]

Poster: RPG Circus Podcast Date: Mar 18, 2013 1:38pm
Forum: forums Subject: Re: Issues with iTunes

Sadly, I did not find any additional solution. It is very irksome. The issue is not with the https:// itself as all the past redirects get converted to https:// as far as I can tell. It seems the latest batch of servers things are stored on seems to be issue. Of course I wish iTunes had a better error than just not downloading the file. I know that every other podcast downloader I could find did not seem to have a problem.

At this point, I have two options.

Option 1 - use the direct https:// address to the file and replace the https:// with http:// there by bypassing the redirect URL. The problem with this of course is that the whole purpose of the redirect is so can move the files around to different servers and not affect the URL you use.

Option 2 - use a paid media service. Something I've been very loathed at doing. With just a small audience, I have a hard time justifying spending the money on something I release as CC. Sadly a good chunk of my audience does use iTunes (Honestly, I wish I could get them to stop).

Sorry I couldn't give you good news and say that I found a solution.